- The Big Ten and what to do with the state of Indiana
- Picking the NIT using football logic
- Picking the NCAA Basketball Tournament by who would win in football
- Tulane adds a matte black helmet to its (hopefully) alternate uniform in 2015
- SEC names Greg Sankey new commissioner, and he’s already one of the most powerful men in college football
- If Chip Kelly gets run out of NFL, he can always come home
- 5 college football stadiums ready to drop the puck for the NHL
- Episode 161 – Skipping around spring football stories with Braden Gall
- This alternate matte-black helmet for Texas is not happening
- What color is this college football uniform?
Big East Clambake: USF ‘s Jeremiah Warren ties record
- Updated: August 1, 2011
USF offensive guard eats more lobsters than half of the Big East
The lobsters were cracking at the annual Big East clambake, and South Florida Bulls offensive guard Jeremiah Warren holds the lead as results are being confirmed. Warren downed seven lobsters on the night (tied for the record apparently), consuming more crustaceans than Rutgers, Cincinnati and West Virginia combined. If lobster counts could be used to predict the Big East champion, Skip Holtz should be feeling very happy about his chances this season.
But the Syracuse Orange pulled together to represent to tie for the team lead, with South Florida, after eating a combined eight lobsters (Update: Pittsburgh had a confirmed lobster count of 14, to lead all Big East schools). It should be noted that Syracuse has four players here for Big East media day while South Florida has two. I’ll unofficially give the nod to the Bulls in this instance.
Warren said that he and Pittsburgh defensive lineman Myles Caragein were staring each other down while eating their lobsters, so the Panthers may have a shot at coming through with a victory if they could get more than eight lobsters out of their three player representatives.
Here is the unofficial total, with a couple of tallies still to be confirmed. (Updated August 2, 9:10 p.m.)
2011 Big East Clambake results
- Pittsburgh – 14
- South Florida – 8
Syracuse – 8
- Connecticut – 4
- Rutgers – 2
West Virginia – 2
- Cincinnati – 1
- Louisville* – 0
* = Louisville players did not compete due to a cancelled flight
For the record, BCS Executive Director Bil Hancock confirmed that the BCS team ate zero lobsters, but did enjoy some of the chicken. TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte is here in Newport, but because none of the players are here this year, the Horned Frogs will have to wait until next year to be introduced to this annual tradition. Get those stomachs trained TCU!