- TCU’s new uniforms for 2015 unveiled
- Who wins a football title first, Wisconsin or Duke? Neither?
- Big Ten looks for first championship double dip in 62 years
- The Big Ten and what to do with the state of Indiana
- Picking the NIT using football logic
- Picking the NCAA Basketball Tournament by who would win in football
- Tulane adds a matte black helmet to its (hopefully) alternate uniform in 2015
- SEC names Greg Sankey new commissioner, and he’s already one of the most powerful men in college football
- If Chip Kelly gets run out of NFL, he can always come home
- 5 college football stadiums ready to drop the puck for the NHL
Episode 118 – UTSA head coach Larry Coker sees bright future in San Antonio
- Updated: June 7, 2012
Road Runners begin play in WAC this fall, move to Conference USA in 2013
University of Texas at San Antonio head coach Larry Coker was my guest on the podcast today and we tried to cover as much ground as possible in a short amount of time. Among the major topics we did cover was the quick rise of the UTSA football program. Last year saw the first football game played in program history. Next year they will be playing in Conference USA.
“It’s been overwhelming,” Coker said of the program’s rise through the ranks of college football.”We never really thought it would be that fast.”
But don’t let that lead you to think that Coker and the rest of the program in San Antonio are intimidated. “Though it is a challenge I think it is going in the right direction as something we needed to do and I think it’s something that you’re really going to see this program grow because of it.” As for recruiting, Coker knows that the rapid growth of the program has a benefit as well.
“These kids in Texas, they want to play the best football they possibly can play. They want to be a division one player.”
Some of the discussion points in our short time include getting an update on what Coker has been up to since we last saw him coaching at Miami, what lured him to UTSA, starting the program from scratch and the benefits and challenges in doing so, recruiting challenges in the state of Texas, which postseason format he prefers and more. I realize there are some questions that were left out of the conversation. I had some questions I would have liked to touch on if time allowed, but there was only so much we could discuss in this short period of time.
Have a listen to the podcast below, then make sure you are subscribed in iTunes, and following the show on Get Glue! Follow UTSA Athletics on Twitter @UTSAAthletics (follow me too). And don’t forget, this podcast can be heard at anytime on Stitcher Radio (and click here for a promo code to get started and a chance to win $100)!
A portion of this podcast will be featured in our first ever encore presentation Friday evening, airing live on Pioneer Digital TV channels 150 and 152 in Oklahoma, and parts of Texas and Kansas where available. Click here for more information.
If the audio widget does not show up for you, click here to listen.
Hype this up on BallHyped.