- Who made my FWAA All-American ballot in 2014
- Wife Knows Best: Week 13 College Football Picks
- How your team will or will not win its conference or division
- Episode 153 – Doug Flutie on the Hail Flutie, Heisman Trophy race, playoffs and the Capital One Cup
- Don’t look now, but Boise State is now biggest threat to Marshall
- Heisman Watch: Wisconsin’s Melvin Gordon ready for B1G Heisman Showdown
- Episode 152 – Previewing Wisconsin-Nebraska
- Wife Knows Best: Week 12 College Football Picks
- McGuire Metric and College Football Playoff Contenders
- Video Mailbag: Hot seats for Hoke and Muschamp, SEC getting two playoff spots and a What If for Michigan State
Big Ten Championship Game scenarios for Nebraska, Michigan
- Updated: November 21, 2012
With one final weekend in the regular season to play, the battles for the Big Ten’s Legends Division championship will determine who goes to Indianapolis to play in the Big Ten Championship Game. In an odd twist this season, the Big Ten’s Leaders Division champion will not get to play for the Big Ten’s automatic BCS spot, as the Ohio State Buckeyes are serving a postseason ban this season and are ineligible for the championship game and a bowl game.
Even though Ohio State has clinched the outright Leaders Division title this season and can complete an undefeated season this weekend, it will be the Wisconsin Badgers heading to their second straight Big Ten Championship Game. Wisconsin locked up a spot in the championship game a couple of weeks ago, thanks in part to Ohio State and Penn State being ineligible. Wisconsin lost a tough one to Ohio State last weekend and heads to Penn State this weekend looking to build some momentum as they prepare to return to Indianapolis next week.
Figuring out who Wisconsin will face is pretty straight forward. It will be Nebraska or Michigan.
Wisconsin vs. Nebraska
Nebraska will get the first crack at clinching a spot in the championship game on Friday when they head to Iowa for the Heroes Game. A win against Nebraska will send the Huskers to the Big Ten Championship Game for a rematch with Wisconsin. Nebraska defeated the Badgers earlier this season, getting revenge for a loss in Madison in their first Big Ten game in program history last season.
If Nebraska happens to lose to Iowa, the Huskers will be paying close attention to Saturday’s game between Michigan and Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio. Nebraska would also advance to the title game with a Michigan loss, thanks to a head-to-head tiebreaker earlier this season.
Wisconsin vs. Michigan
If Nebraska should stumble at Iowa, the door will be open for Michigan. Michigan must beat Ohio State on the road, something the Wolverines have not done since 2000. Michigan would then clinch the outright Legends Division championship with the best conference record in the division.
A loss to Ohio State sends Nebraska to the Big Ten Championship Game regardless of what Nebraska does Friday.
Here are the scenarios, as simply put as possible.
- If Nebraska wins, Wisconsin vs. Nebraska
- If Nebraska loses and Michigan wins, Wisconsin vs. Michigan
- If Nebraska and Michigan lose, Wisconsin vs. Nebraska
Subscribe to the No 2-Minute Warning YouTube Channel.